Monday, February 2, 2009

Turning away from the water cooler

I did not watch the Superbowl. Mostly because I do not care one mite about football. I am interested in television, but I didn't even partake for the commercials. This is because last year all the commercials worth seeing were on the internet is some form or another by the end of the week, if not sooner. (Edit: now here)

I love television. TV on DVD is clearly genius and has allowed me to relive Arrested Development and Dead Like Me over and over again long after their demise. I usually watch 4 or more shows regularly during their season. Networks' online episodes only have one 30-second commercial per break, which means by watching a show online I've effectively freed up between five and 15 minutes (the first for half hour slots, the second for an hour-long-slated show); I've watched my favorite shows and gotten the gift of time. Besides, if ABC's Web site broadcasts in HD, and Pushing Daisies' fairytale color palette looks far better on my computer screen in high-def than on my cheap, dusty TV, it's a matter of viewing quality as much as quantity.

The currency of culture is widening because of the internet. Which, like all things, has merits and disadvantages. Water cooler ubiquity is less common. Not every single household is watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan when there's thousands of movie channels or DVDs or last week's Leno on TiVo or real-time soccer from Europe being broadcast.

The Superbowl is one of the last bastions of "Last-night-did-ya-watch-when...?" discussion starters. I'm just grateful I can avoid football to participate in the discussion.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of good tv shows, how did you feel about Firefly? I don't tend to watch much tv myself, but that show (and subsequent film) was just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firefly is definitely on the list of awesome canceled TV shows I got to see because of DVD.

    ReplyDelete